August 12, 2012

A Brocante Piece With Undeniable Strength


"Click photo to enlarge detail"

mise en scène, French term for arrangement of scenery put in the scene, I am the director and producer of the placement of pieces and props in my home and shop.

A piece hard to let go of, but better suited for my shop. When life at the Burlap Luxe home went from formal to elegant rustic it all fell together like relaxed wrinkled linen modestly living with pieces that evoke all things euro-French by adding the best pieces of old only adds to the charm of living in deep comfort.


When shopping in my shop I want it to reflect well lived pieces with gentle imperfections that nothing is meant to be that cared for.



Pieces well-worn have history and strength, this was a strong piece, and a piece most would turn away, (local thrift shop find) This piece told a whole different story one of 1980’s where it housed a monster of a TV. with cabinets, and drawers below flawed with years of use, and I knew it was a piece I wanted to take on.

By removing old out-dated embellishments, to then strip off and sanding down it's age this piece started to show me what it wanted to become.

Setting aside the doors and drawer faces for other projects and adding much needed shelving and a solid back to it makes for instant impact to this beauty that was once a beast.

I listen to the story of each piece giving it the right paint treatment and much needed distressing richly rewarding it with a new purpose in life while becoming there new caretaker, a gatherer of pieces until they find a new destination.


Great tall side cubbies that may hold your platters and silver serving trays, along with country French vintage cutting breadboards.


The art I painted to the discarded doors that once closed off the on looking of where the TV was housed. They now show off what they have become, French panels artfully painted in tones of washed whites and shades of grey.


"click on photo enlarge detail art-work"

Another door face solid oak from a French china hutch I hand painted and may be seen in my etsy Burlap Luxe shop for purchase, Vie Belle (Beautiful Life)


This once beast of a piece has excited the makeover of my shop readying it for fall, and the treasure it will display.

27 comments:

Paint Me White said...

Dore this piece looks amazing, you have done a fantastic job. Your pieces are breathtaking. Sandy x

Rozmeen said...

This is absolutly stunning! Love the result, great job!

xoxo Rozmeen

Victoria said...

Wow Dore! You truly transformed an outdated piece of 80's furniture to something that looks like it came from a French farmhouse...I love it!!!

Vintage Gal said...

Wow ~ what a transformation. This piece is beautiful ~ great job~!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Stunning, as always, Dore. You have a talent for giving such life and history to your pieces, no matter the era. Love your display. Everything blends so beautifully.

Verbena nested treasures said...

as always Dore your transformations & displays inspire us all. Love they way all the shades of greys & creams blend together in your space. xo laura

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ma belle, I have missed you SO MUCH.

You should see what I have going on in my atelier; I have a MINI version of this exact etagère that I will be making into a cabinet de curiosités....with a paper mâché doll on the inside.....oh my, your work is stunning and AGAIN, I am playing with ideas from my book that you so graciously sent me.

I was on vacation for a week with guests in my home, but now I am back. If you have not come to visit me yet, please do to see my gray ballet wand....MUCH LOVE, Anita

PS..I am trying to catch up here in Blogland!

Ticking and Toile said...

Dore,
You are so unbelievably talented!! Wow it's just gorgeous!!!
xoxo,
Shellagh

Seawashed said...

Soft beauty. The strength of this piece could be used for so many things in a home. I do like how white you washed it. I also enjoyed seeing your shop space for the first time!

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Sweet friend you have such a great eye for the beauty within.Who would have thought that was an outdated piece.
Your space has some great treasures in there~Cheers Kim xox

Karena said...

Dore I love what you have created, a completely different piece plus new lovely, mesmerizing works of art!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series featuring Harrison Howard

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Oh Dore it all sounds so magical and beautiful! I loved John Wayne and watch him to this day.
What treasuring memories you have of your grandfather.It was so different then, now I sound like my parents and grandparents.Oh how I long for those days in the dust!
Oh you must pick yourself up a pair of kickers of your own and wear them proudly :).
Miss Hannah is my lil soul sister~Cheers & Blessings Kim

Suz said...

Beautiful job on the cabinet and I love what you did with the doors.

Heaven's Walk said...

What an amazing piece, Dore! I never would have thought to remove the embellishment, but it truly added back a rustic element to it. Love it! Your painting on the doors are beautiful works of art. You are such an inspiration to me, Dore - and I treasure our friendship through Him! Bless you!

xoxo laurie

BellaRustica said...

Bella, Like you, your latest creation is matched in beauty, strength and purpose. It is who you are in this world. Baci, Kim

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh, mon amie si belle et douce, merci pour tes mots de tendresse.

I am so honored to be dubbed, in your heart and mind as a paper artist in the ranks of our delightful Miss Clara! And are you familiar with the Belgian artist, Isabelle de Borchgrave? OH dear, another inspirational model for me. I cannot get enough of creating with paper at the moment. I am in the process of creating the artist in me....I am not sure yet HOW I will use the technology available to do it, but what I see in my mind and heart has to come out and now that Ruben has given me the freedom to not work full-time, I can work at it.

What is this GORGEOUS PIECE OF MUSIC PLAYING???? I must investigate this on your playlist.

MERCI MA CHÈRE POUR TON AMOUR DE GRIS ET BLANC....quelle inspiration! BISOUS! Anita

Rita said...

Dore,
your piece is stunning beyond words.
you are such a talented gal and a most valuable source of inspiration.
rita

Pura Vida said...

Dore this is stunning!

La Brocanteuse said...

Dore, you never stop to amaze me! All is done with such passion and the beauty you have around you inspires..
Congrats on yet another awesome creation. Sending you lots of love from Afrique du Sud.
Colette xx

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

What a wonderful makeover Dore!
I won't walk so quickly by old pieces like this in thrift shops any more!

Cindy said...

What a wonderful story... I enjoyed every word, and you did take it from Beast to Beauty! That is so freakin cool! It's so simple, so gorgeous, and so functional now...

Cindy

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Dore,
Again, you have transformed a piece with your masterful hands and mind.. Oh if I had you by my side while painting my cabinets, what a wonder it would have been.

Your detail work with the painting is breathtaking my friend..
Your choice of music is happiness to my heart today...
Fondly,
Penny

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Dore,
You are truly a gem.. Thank you so much for visiting and leaving such beautiful words, they made my heart sing.. I am so happy you enjoyed my little peeps!
Thank you for always being such an inspiration to me.
Fondly,
Penny


Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Packers and movers in Chennai

Revi said...

What a transformation, Dore! I love it, and all the storage it provides.
LOVELY job.
-Revi

Paula said...

Dore - you absolutely amaze and inspire me with your incredible talent and your ability to transform. Absolutely mesmerising - you should host a programme or film a DVD so that we can see your talents in action from across the globe - it would definitely be a No. 1 best seller!!
Best wishes,
Paula xxxx

Alicia said...

A beautifull blog.
Best wishes
Alicia