May 02, 2010

Love Letters From The Sea


Sea shells and book page letters from seven centuries of love, this wreath beckons a fair ocean breeze. Created by myself, "Dore Callaway" These natural wonders, strewn along beaches like jewels from the sea along with rolled book pages from seven centuries of love, these pages promising eternal devotion are in good company mixed with the sea and the love of it.

I am inspired by many of you dear friends, one of them being an INSPIRING blog site
"Jujubes Coastal Cottage Life"... http://jujubescoastal.blogspot.com
Visit "Marlene's" inspired beach trail and the view of her ocean...
Marlene lives in a beautiful small rural California coastal town with rolling green hills full of pine and oak trees, best of all her ocean...what else is there.

All the shells are attached to twigs on a grapevine wreath, the rolled book pages are tied and tucked in clusters with cotton string underneath the white shells, leaving you feeling as if they were washed up onto the beach in a magical way. A paper bird created by me, then printed on paper that has been glued to a thin heavy duty cardboard adding a small pin hole on the top side of it's back enables it to pin to a tattered strip of aged white cotton fabric that has been woven through the twigs and shells, this way the paper bird will endure handling.

The tattered trim was created by tearing strips of fabric from an old cotton ruffled blouse then woven into the wreath, also by adding the small crocheted threads this was the perfect touch to simulating seaweed washed ashore. A great touch was the braided string that tied to the back side by making a tied loop to hang your wreath, This keeps it all natural, recycled from the land and sea.

My daughter Hannah and her girl friend Elizabeth, while they were working on their senior portfolio I was finishing up on the details of this wreath, Elizabeth then commented with such passion that the wreath was spiritual and had meaning...I loved that the wreath gave her an aww!! moment and I just wanted her to know her comment was worth mentioning.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
I hope you have a few shells in your pocket from your long walk on the beach...
The sea shells and book page love letters wreath is now hanging off an old weathered rusted white iron gate in my shop, waiting for someone to take it on it's next journey.

36 comments:

Unknown said...

Very, very neat, Dore! It's beautiful with all the shells on it.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi Dore,
I love, love, love your wreath. It is so beautiful!!
Amazing job!
Have a great week.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Farm Girl said...

Very lovely Dore, it is one of those kind of wreaths, that cause you to sit and dream of a sailor from long ago who wrote letters to his love. They became someones memory locked away in time. I just loved it too.
Everything you do is filled with meaning and taste.

Prior said...

Dore,
This wreath it very awesome! Lezlee

Beach House Living said...

Gorgeous!

I saw an older post about the bird houses you make. Do you still make them? I really liked the one in the photo.

michela {mami g.} said...

Dear Dore, thank you for your visit at my blog and for your kindly comment!
I love your blog, I'm happy to be your new follower and to link you in Maison Charmante

Michela

Beach House Living said...

Dore,
There is a shop by us that and all they sell is feed and some lovely birdhouses. I'd rather have one from recycled materials. So maybe some day you will have one I must have.

As for the flatware there are a number of discards! A trick is the spoon needs to flatten just right for both the free hand designs and jeweled ones so they look okay. I'm working on some new designs and settings...I got around to one of the Paris designs so far. I'm unpacking the dremel stand for another project.

I can't wait to see the designs you come up with. Your work is always beautifully done.

Best regards,
Rita

Marlene said...

Oh Dore! She is right..It does have a magical feel to it!!!Spiritual is right..the ocean has such a powerful energy to it...and this wreath How could it not..Love letters are part of it.shells from the ocean and the beauty and freedom of the birds ( I love those hand made ones you did!) and the torn blouse and yarn all items reused and part of you.I just absolutely adore it!!You created not just a wreath but a "feeling"..the ocean came to you in your dreams! :-)..This post was perfect for me today..because I just recieved today wonderful news !a fabulous oportunity for me which concerns the sea and my art...Thank you so much for your gracious mention of me.. since your blogs is sooo inspiring..and lifts my spirits when I visit! xo Marlene

Tina said...

Dore your wreath is so beautiful! The combination of the gorgeous shells and the way you have woven your torn blouse and crocheted threads in amongst the rolled book pages, it all just comes together so beautifully. You are so talented! I wish I lived near your store. Wishing you a wonderful day ~ Tina x

Lisa said...

a beautiful and refreshing breath from the sea...love your wreath!

Razmataz said...

Dore, it is fabulous and unique and intersting......I love the tattered blouse you used and the shells. A real work of art!

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous, Doré! Nature, a soft color palette, texture and a romantic story - it truly is wonderful!!!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Dore, thanks so much for visiting me today. I love the wreath, perfect colors, and so lovely. Romantic creation at its best! xo Lidy

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I happened on your blog from Ticking and Toile and I love your style. I'll be back for sure.

Beth said...

Wow...gorgeous wreath! Can't wait to look through more of this beautiful blog! Thanks for stopping by mine, too! Beth

Kym said...

Just gorgeous Dore. It is so effective I just love it.You have beautiful taste in decor and I'm glad it gave your daughter an awww moment. I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing Kym X

Les Cotrions said...

Your wreath is just stunning Dore!!! What a faboulous and inspiring idea!!!
Happy and sunny week!
Vale

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Dore,
love your wreath - it's just so beautiful.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs
Marie

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Lovely......simply lovely! All the best,Chrissy

myletterstoemily said...

your love letters wreaths are simply beautiful.

vignette design said...

I love your wreath! Very creative.

Miss Gingham said...

Dore, your wreath is indeed beautiful with a classic, timeless elegance.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

coming by your place truly is a visit to the land of all things beautiful and tranquil - love love love this piece~ especially the rolled love letters - fabulous - and marlene is a dear dear blogger friend - as a matter of fact, i hadn't realized she already knew you when i sent her a note recently telling her of this fantastic blog i just knew she would love - yours! must be true what they say of birds flocking together - love your blog!

Rosemary said...

I love it!
It's very summery!
Great job!
Rosemary

Obee Designs said...

Hi Dore,
What a beautiful inspiration! I love old books and shells, so this is just the perfect union!!
You have such an amazing way of coming up with such unique ideas to share with us.
I hope you are enjoying your day :)
Until next time,
~Gail

Bleudelavande said...

You have a very lovely blog!!!! I love that wreath!!!!
Tank you for passing and leaving such beautiful comment to my blog!
Have a nice weekend

Romeo said...

What a beautiful wreath - only you could have created this wonderful piece! It is inspiring and thought provoking! And welcoming as a perfect ocean visit on any given day. Thank you for sharing!

"Her"

PS - Romeo says it reminds him of milk and wants to know if he can have some purrlease...claims you always have that or a snack for him.....

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Dore,
What a glorious wreath! Looking through your blog I'm amazed at your God given talents.
I hope you have a beautiful day today In HIM! ;)

Completely Coastal said...

What a cool and creative wreath!! Love it!!!

Maya @ Completely Coastal & Daily Vitamin Sea

Dreams and Decor said...

So romantic! Just found your blog--it's beautiful! I also love the bud vases made from silverware! Patti in Texas

VS said...

Your post is lovely & I hope you have a GLORIOUS Mother's Day Friend!!!
Hugs,
Susie

Louise Gale "Dream-Inspire-Create" said...

Hey thanks so much for popping by my blog and leaving a comment. I LOVE your wreath so will be checking back often. Byeeee. :-)

Mary Ann said...

you have such gifted talents...and i feel the invitation to come back here pretty soon. count me as one of your followers@ verbena cottage

savvycityfarmer said...

... whoa girl ... you outdid yourself ..

Angela said...

Thanks for your visit and kind words. How did I miss this wreath...it's spectacular!! I'm from Corpus Christi, but haven't visited much in a long time...you sure make me want to take a walk on the beach!!

Suzanne said...

Hi Dore,
I'm just meeting you but I am in awe of you, your blog and your inspiring words and photos and I will be back often. Thank you so much for sharing!
I live near the beach...can I make me one of these wreaths? I promise, promise, promise to send everyone over to see who inspired me:)
Blessings, Suzanne